Video on-demand live recording and streaming
dashesy
2010-01-12 22:59:01 UTC
I have two questions, thanks for any suggestion or feedback

1- Is it possible to setup Windows Media Server to record a coming stream
(captured and streamed via Windows Media Formats SDK or Windows Media
Encoder) to a file, then stream the same file on-demand (while being
recorded).

2- If I am not using Windows Media Server, with only one PC running
non-server Windows, is it possible to setup Windows Media Formats SDK to
record a live session to a file (as the sink), and use the same file (as a
source) for on-demand video streaming (to the localhost)?

Note that I am not just archiving the file, but need the recorded file in
order to rewind. The stream needs realtime attention so I can not record the
file and then stream the file.

The reason is that I want to record an online session, while giving our
customers the ability to go back in time for reviewing.
The reason that I want to have a one-PC setup is that I want to consider the
case where only the local terminal is reviewing the stream.
Alessandro Angeli
2010-01-13 03:34:31 UTC
From: "dashesy"
Post by dashesy
1- Is it possible to setup Windows Media Server to record
a coming stream (captured and streamed via Windows Media
Formats SDK or Windows Media Encoder) to a file, then
stream the same file on-demand (while being recorded).
I think so, but I never tried.
Post by dashesy
2- If I am not using Windows Media Server, with only one
PC running non-server Windows, is it possible to setup
Windows Media Formats SDK to record a live session to a
file (as the sink), and use the same file (as a source)
for on-demand video streaming (to the localhost)?
It's easy to find out. On XP or 2003 (not Vista or newer),
use WindowsMediaEncoder9 to encode to a file, then try to
open the file in MPC-HC. Before opening the file in MPC-HC,
go to View -> Options -> Tweaks and enable "Use the WM ASF
Reader...".

If the above doesn't work, it may be possible to use the
Stream Buffer Engine instead of WMF (the result on XP/2003
is still a WMV file).

In any case, the WMF network sink (that is, the limited
streaming server built into the WMF runtime) does not
support seeking so you would need to implement your own
streaming server.
--
// Alessandro Angeli
// MVP :: DirectShow / MediaFoundation
// http://www.riseoftheants.com/mmx/faq.htm
Caleb Hogue
From: "dashesy"
I think so, but I never tried.
it is easy to find out. On XP or 2003 (not Vista or newer),
use WindowsMediaEncoder9 to encode to a file, then try to
open the file in MPC-HC. Before opening the file in MPC-HC,
go to View -> Options -> Tweaks and enable "Use the WM ASF
Reader...".
If the above does not work, it may be possible to use the
Stream Buffer Engine instead of WMF (the result on XP/2003
is still a WMV file).
In any case, the WMF network sink (that is, the limited
streaming server built into the WMF runtime) does not
support seeking so you would need to implement your own
streaming server.
--
// Alessandro Angeli
// MVP :: DirectShow / MediaFoundation
// mvpnews at riseoftheants dot com
// http://www.riseoftheants.com/mmx/faq.htm
Submitted via EggHeadCafe
ASP.NET GridView Persist User-Selected CheckBox Values
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/58db18a0-fcd6-43d2-954a-ae076427b739/aspnet-gridview-persist-userselected-checkbox-values.aspx