Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008
Alex
2010-02-17 17:43:01 UTC
Hi everybody,

I need an advice regarding the runtime for Windows Media Format SDK in
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (R2). I'm using the Windows SDK which
includes the Windows Media Format SDK and everything works well. OK, it's my
development PC (Windows Vista) and in general there are all necessary files
included. But now I started my app in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
and there are probably some files missing. I try to give you an overview:

Windows 7:
- IWMWriter->BeginWriting returns 0xC00D0BB8 (NS_E_INVALID_INPUT_FORMAT)

Windows Server 2008 R2:
- My DLL which has dependencies to Windows Format SDK can not be loaded [
GetLastErrorCode() returns MyClass::MyFunction Type=HRESULT 0x80047015
'IDispatch error #28181' Source='(null)' Description='(null) ]

My first task was to find out the reasons for these differences. I started
with Windows Server 2008:
My first suggestion was that the Windows Media Player is missing which
delivers the appropriated files and decoders. So I installed the "Desktop
Experience" feature which includes the Windows Media Player 12.
OK, great, my reader module is working fine and the writer module can be
loaded, but IWMWriter->BeginWriting stills returns an error.
Then I tried to install Expression Encoder 3 to deliver the correct encoder
dll to the system but that does not help either.
Finally I extracted the DLLs from WMFDist11-WindowsXP-X86-ENU.exe delivered
with the Windows Media Format SDK and put the files next to the executable.
And voilĂ , it works.
But that seems to be a very dirty workaround and I'm looking for a "clean"
solution.

Are there any redistributable to ship the needed DLLs to my customers?
Which applications contain the needed files (Windows Media Player, etc..)?
Why are the DLLs not available for Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008?

Thank you very much
Alex
Alessandro Angeli
2010-02-17 19:00:50 UTC
From: "Alex"
Post by Alex
- IWMWriter->BeginWriting returns 0xC00D0BB8
(NS_E_INVALID_INPUT_FORMAT)
What are your input and output formats?
Post by Alex
writer module can be loaded, but IWMWriter->BeginWriting
stills returns an error.
What error?
--
// Alessandro Angeli
// MVP :: DirectShow / MediaFoundation
// http://www.riseoftheants.com/mmx/faq.htm
Alex
2010-02-24 12:46:01 UTC
Some updates from my side:

I figured out that the needed files are already located in system32 folder
in Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2 but with a different file version.

WMVCORE.DLL 11.0.5721.5145 (Vista) vs 12.0.7600.16385 (Windows 7)

My code works with v11 only and fails with NS_E_INVALID_INPUT_FORMAT in
IWMWriter::BeginWriting with v12. So I have to ensure that the wmvcore.dll
v11 is in system32 or next to the executable.

What are the differences? Is there annother handling needed?

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Alex