WMP - First time use
Bati9
2010-05-20 18:39:54 UTC
Is there a reliable way of figuring out if WMP has been initialized on
a user's machine? I just found a bug on my app written in C# and using
the WMPLib::WindowsMediaPlayer class - it crashes when I try to import
the artists from a WMP app that hasn't been run yet.

I know on XP, there's this reg key that i might be able to use:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedEULA"=dword:00000001
"FirstTime"=dword:00000001

But this doesn't seem to be the case on Win7.
Alessandro Angeli
2010-05-20 19:12:23 UTC
From: "Bati9"
Post by Bati9
Is there a reliable way of figuring out if WMP has been initialized on
a user's machine? I just found a bug on my app written in C# and using
the WMPLib::WindowsMediaPlayer class - it crashes when I try to import
the artists from a WMP app that hasn't been run yet.
Define crash.
Post by Bati9
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedEULA"=dword:00000001
"FirstTime"=dword:00000001
But this doesn't seem to be the case on Win7.
Are you app and WMP both Win32 or both Win64 apps?
--
// Alessandro Angeli
// MVP :: DirectShow / MediaFoundation
// http://www.riseoftheants.com/mmx/faq.htm
Bati9
2010-05-20 22:14:57 UTC
From: "Bati9"
Post by Bati9
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedEULA"=dword:00000001
"FirstTime"=dword:00000001
But this doesn't seem to be the case on Win7.
Are you app and WMP both Win32 or both Win64 apps?
--
// Alessandro Angeli
// MVP :: DirectShow / MediaFoundation
// mvpnews at riseoftheants dot com
//http://www.riseoftheants.com/mmx/faq.htm
Apology - was to quick looking for something i assumed was wrong - the
crash is totally my bug.